Monday, September 19, 2011

Smoked Salt Honey Almonds


This past weekend was so splendid! We had our first touch of rain in 100 days. Friday night I was so excited to hear the roar of thunder and soft gentle patter of rain for a few hours. Candles lit on the mantel, lights dimmed and it was a spectacular feeling. Saturday morning was a great day to hit the local farmers market and I ventured out to pick up some fruits and vegetables. However I was smitten with some local honey that a farmer had on display and picked up a jar. I knew I would be using it for my favorite granola recipe, in my tea and on a slice of toast. But on the way home I thought about this new smoked salt I just purchased and thought it would make a nice accompaniment to some honey glazed almonds.

Almonds are a great little snack to have lying around when you want something crunchy and don’t want to reach for the chips! I like to make different kinds of nut noshes to snack on and they make a great addition to lunch box meals.

Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt – This deep rich woody smoked salt contains trace minerals such as magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine. It’s, 100% natural and solar evaporated that is gathered from the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California. Smoked sea salt is thought to be healthier and many rave about its bright clean flavor.

Smoked Salt Honey Almonds

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

3 Cups Whole Almonds

¼ Cup Honey

1 Tablespoon Smoked Sea Salt ( I used Alder-wood Smoked Sea Salt)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add olive oil. Add Almonds to the skillet and roasted tossing them around so they don’t burn. You will smell the almonds starting to roast after a few minutes.

Add the Smoked Sea Sat and Honey and toss together to coat well.

Transfer the honey coated nuts to a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Spread nuts out evenly.

Bake in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes until the honey begins to dry. Let nuts cool completely before packaging in air tight container.

No comments: