Saturday, May 19, 2012

Healthy Breakfast Toast


I have to say that I am really bad about getting up, making breakfast for my son who is 15 and needs something substantial to hold him over till lunch and then getting ready for work without eating myself.  When I do that I'm starving at 9am! 

Since breakfast is such an important meal, I've been trying really hard this week to eat breakfast, make something that is low in gluten and packed with some nutrients.  I thought I would share some of my simple recipes with you.

I love toast and since I'm looking for gluten free or low gluten options, Mestermacher makes some wonderful natural organic breads that are wheat free and low gluten.  I particularly like the flax seed one made with dark rye flour.  Rye flour is strongly flavored flour that is dark in color and is low in gluten.  It also has some whole kernel rye and flax seeds in it so it has some extra nutrients and texture.  

This bread is great toasted with just coconut oil instead of butter.  You should try it.  Or as I have shown above in the photo, I like it with fresh Avocado, fresh sliced Purple Onions, Cilantro, and Grape Tomatoes.  It's packed with vitamins and is so good!

Avocados - provide up to 20 essential vitamins including Potassium, Vitamins B6, C, E & K, Fiber and Folic Acid,  it is a monounsaturated fat which is excellent for your heart, Magnesium,

Purple Onions - is packed with Quercetin which is a bioflavonoid which helps scavenge free radicals.  It also has Allicin which is shown to promote cardiovascular health, prevent and treat cancer and reduce high blood pressure.

Cilantro - Is a powerful cleansing agent.  The chemical compounds bind to heavy metals and loosen them from tissues, blood and organs.  These compounds help aid and transport these metals out of the body. 

Tomatoes - Are an excellent source of Vitamin C which is vital for our bodies to help fight infections, it's high in Potassium an electrolyte for keeping our organs in good condition.

So next time you reach for white bread and butter for toast, think about switching out your ingredients with these nutrient rich foods.

Thanks for stopping by....
Stormy

No comments: