Sunday, September 26, 2010

It's Official....I'm definately Going Vegan!

For the past 2 weeks I have been vegan and it wasn't difficult. I transitioned well by starting off selecting more vegetarian foods. That kind of prepared me for easing into a vegan lifestyle. However if it wasn't for a lot of research the past few years on the vegetarian and the raw food movement, I probably wouldn't have felt too comfortable diving into it. We are programmed to eat meat. I was, I even saw animals being slaughtered as a young girl. Cloud Packing Company in Springfield, MO was my family business and we were running around on the pastures flipping cow patties and running from the cows to get back to the house. I remember going to the plant on Saturdays with my Dad and hanging out in the office with my grandmother. I would wander around the plant and it was normal to see blood and meat hanging. (Normal? - Forgive me)

But somehow we all disconnect the reality of what we are eating and we marinate that steak and throw it on the grill! At first when I decided to go vegan it was just for health reasons and the more research I do on a vegan lifestyle the ethical treatment of animals keeps popping up.

It's strange how I purchased the book Skinny Bitch about 4 years ago, read it and then put it on a shelf. I remember reading the real truth about our meat supply and somehow, some way, disconnected it once again. Except yesterday I pulled the book from my shelf and read it again last night. OMG - I don't know what the difference was between reading last night and 4 years ago, but I can't even imagine eating meat or dairy ever again!

Since I've been vegan, I don't have any cravings anymore. That is the strangest thing of all. I don't want a hamburger or french fries, I don't want anything bad for me. It's like my body is reprogramming. I am perfectly satisfied with good food and only putting something in my body that is going to be a positive impact on my system.

If you are wanting to learn more about becoming a vegan, go to this website and watch this video. WARNING - IT IS VERY DISTURBING......But I think it is so powerful that anyone who is wanting to embrace the vegan lifestyle and feed their bodies with food that is good and full of vitamins and minerals by consuming more vegetables, fruits, nuts and wholegrains then you need to also understand what meat and dairy does to your body.

I am living proof that that crap is not good for you. And I am making a change for a better life - A Twist of Life! I hope you do too.

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/default.aspx

No comments: