Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sweet Mango







Its the end of summer and the heat is starting to lighten up a bit this weekend. The windows are open and my son and the dogs are finally enjoying the outdoors again.

Its a perfect evening for something light and refreshing for dinner tonight. The grill is heating up and I'm making the perfect summer salad to go with my Teriyaki Portabella Burger.

I've been trying to lower my blood pressure and have vowed to only eat meat once a week and incorporate more fruits and vegetables in my diet daily. So this week has been a complete transformation with the way that usually eat...and I have to say, I feel great this week.

Since I wanted a light menu. I marinated a portabella mushroom in sesame oil, pineapple juice, lemongrass, ginger, soy sauce and scallions. I then reserved some of the juice to baste the portabella with during the grilling process. Grilled a fresh pineapple ring to garnish and viola. Teriyaki Portabella Burgers. Making my own sauce teryaki sauce helps control the amount of salt and the preservatives which is really important when watching the amount of sodium and additives in bottled varieties.

The other day I picked up some mangos at the market and they were still a little firm, so I put them in a basket on the counter for a few days and today they are perfectly ripe and sweet. So I decided to make a summer evening salad with avocado, mango, cilantro, chili and lime. It's so incredible and the flavors pop with the chili and lime. Give it a try....it's really a treat.

Mangos are packed with vitamins...Here's the rundown of these juicy jewels:

Mangoes contain phenols, this phenolic compound has powerful antioxidant and anticancer abilities.

They are high in iron, pregnant women and people with anemia are encouraged to eat mangos regularly.

Mangos are effective in relieving clogged pours of the skin, combat acidity and poor digestion.

They are high in antioxidants and low in carbohydrates.

Mangos are a rich source of vitamin A (beta-carotene), E and Selenium which will help to protect against heart disease and other ailments.

So you can see, incorporating mangos in your diet is essential in many ways.

Have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend...Enjoy the outdoors.




No comments: